Monday, November 12, 2012

Life Through Death



     When I woke up on the morning of my birthday last week, I eagerly checked my phone to see all the birthday texts that I had received. It’s secretly everyone favorite part of their birthday- looking at all the wall posts and shout outs from various people and feeling like the most popular person of the moment. But in the midst of the “HAAPPPPPYYY BIIIRTHHDAAY OMGGG” texts I got a very saddening and disheartening one that simply said, “Did you hear about Garrett?”
     Flash back to Garrett Luce, a one of kind talented high school friend of mine with a huge smile that could positively draw others to him. He was Troy Bolton when our middle school performed High School Musical, and then every lead in the school plays after that. He was the starting catcher on the Second Baptist School baseball team from freshman year on. He was and is one of the best gentlemen to every girl he met and was definitely valued by both boys and girls as a great friend. He would sit in yearbook class with my friend Brooke and I, and just talk to us because he wanted to know about our lives. He was a goober but we loved it.
     I spent the day between tears and laughter as I was with friends who didn’t know Garrett but when I would think of him and tear up they would comfort me. I kept thinking about his parents who lost the only child they had, and the brightest light in their lives. I had never lost a friend before and simply couldn’t wrap my head around it.
     Coming home for the funeral, I was surrounded by classmates I hadn’t seen since graduation. A majority of my friends were even closer to him than I was and it was heart sickening to see them shudder with sobs as we watched a video slideshow of Garrett. The funeral was a beautiful time of celebrating his life and sharing hilarious stories of Garrett as well.
     But afterwards, when our friends parted and came home and we each sat by ourselves and processed everything, we began to come to grasp by ourselves how death affects us personally.
     Being a strong believer in the Lord, I took utmost comfort in knowing that Garrett’s strong faith secured him in the presence of Jesus the moment he was taken from us. I want to live the way he did, carefree and joyful.
     That being said, I encourage each of you to embrace life for the very essence that it is life. Our days that are most filled with love of life is what makes our life our own. Wake up every morning thankful to have another day of life and constantly remind yourself of that throughout the day. If Garrett can have such an impact on people in his 19 short years than we can seek to live each day the fullest.
    

1 comment: